English Essentials: A Comprehensive Review
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for Federal employees, active duty military, and contractors who are serious about refreshing their knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and usage.
Class size is limited to 15 students per class to maximize learning.
Advanced Preparation: None
CPE Field of Study: Communications
In an article entitled Grammar, A Victim in the Office
, the Wall Street Journal
reported that "In a survey ... about 45% of 430 employers said they were increasing employee-training programs to improve employees' grammar and other skills, according to the Society for Human Resource Management and AARP. " It is clear that many employers, including Federal agencies, seek employees with good writing skills, including a strong understanding of grammar, punctuation, usage.
Human Resources Institute designed this course to provide you with a complete review of the fundamentals.
It is designed for those who are serious about improving their knowledge of the rules of grammar, punctuation, and usage. By the conclusion of the course, your confidence and knowledge will have increased significantly. Also, with a smaller class size guaranteed, you are sure to receive personalized attention from our instructor.
- Thorough review of grammar and punctuation.
- Review the eight parts of speech and the most common grammar errors that writers make when using them.
- Subjects - learn tips to find them in your sentences.
- Verbs - avoid the most common mistakes, such as subject and verb agreement, verb tenses, verb conjugation, and irregular verbs.
- Use different types of sentences and sentence structures.
- Avoid run-on sentences, fragments, and comma splices.
- Understand the difference between independent and dependent clauses and how they relate to proper punctuation.
- Word Choice - receive a "cheat sheet" to help you with commonly misused words.
- Punctuation Made Simple - learn easy to remember rules for commas, semicolons, colons, apostrophes, parentheses, quotation marks, capitalization, and MORE!!!
- Learn rules for capitalization and numbers.
- Hands-On Training - Numerous grammar exercises each day.
- Grammar Made Simple - Our professional workbook and reference materials will help you use proper grammar every time.