Proofreading Skills for Government Employees
Who Should Attend
All Federal civilian and military employees and contractors interested in improving their proofreading knowledge and skills.
Advanced Preparation: None
CPE Field of Study: Communications
What You Will Learn
- Improve your ability to identify and correct errors.
- Refresh your understanding of everyday punctuation rules, including commas and semicolons.
- Review common grammar and usage problems.
- Learn the differences between many commonly confused words and receive an easy-to-use "cheat sheet."
- Use standard proofreading symbols.
- Develop strategies for effective proofreading.
- Identify fragments and run-on sentences and learn how to correct them.
- Correct confusing, choppy, and/or awkward sentences.
- Each student receives a copy of the book Powerful Proofreading Skills: Tips, Techniques, and Tactics.
Why You Should Attend
Whether you are reviewing someone else’s work or making sure yours is error-free, the ability to properly proofread and edit written and electronic documents is crucial to your success as a Federal employee. In this “hands-on” class, you will receive numerous exercises, handouts, checklists, and tips to reinforce and perfect your proofreading skills.