Veterans' Preference Adjudication
Who Should Attend
Anyone involved in the adjudication of veterans' preference claims or performance of delegated examining work, including human resources professionals, administrative staff, supervisors, and managers.
This course will provide an overview of the history of veterans’ preference in federal employment and will also provide the knowledge and skill to be able to adjudicate and apply veterans’ preference in the pre-employment phase of recruiting candidates for employment. Students will also learn to apply veterans’ preference in the competitive and excepted service, how veterans’ preference applies while a veteran is employed, and veterans’ preference as it applies to retention and post-employment.
Students will review all the special appointing authorities which apply specifically to veterans, veterans with preference eligibility, and disabled veterans. This course will also explore what is required to ensure that all personnel actions fully comply with current rules and regulations regarding individuals who are entitled to veterans’ preference.
- Explain the history of veterans’ preference
- Identify the several types of veterans’ preference
- Define and explain the differences among a veteran, a disabled veteran, and a preference eligible veteran
- Explain how veterans’ preference applies in pre-employment situations, during an employee’s tenure, and in retention situations
- Adjudicate claims for veterans’ preference
- Apply veterans’ preference to competitive and excepted service appointments
- Discuss procedures for disqualifying or passing over preference eligible during competitive selection
- Discuss special appointing authorities for veterans:
o 30 percent or more disabled veterans
o Veterans Readjustment Appointments (VRA)
o Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA)
- Explain reinstatement rights of preference eligibles
- Review application of veterans’ preference in a federal reduction in force
- Review veterans’ preference in the numeric rating process
- Review documentation of veterans’ preference on an SF-50