Federal Travel: An Overview
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for travel managers, travel specialists, uniformed service members, administrative professionals, support staff, frequent travelers, authorizing, approving and certifying officials, budget officers, fund managers, travel document preparers and/or reviewers.
This course provides an overview, discussion, and hands-on exercises related to Federal and Department of Defense (DoD) travel. Participants will acquire useful, practical, and fundamental knowledge of how to plan, coordinate, facilitate, review, approve, research, track, and fund travel in accordance with applicable government regulations.
- Acquire fundamental Federal and DoD travel management knowledge and skills
- Explore the basic concepts of the travel management process
- Develop practical knowledge of key regulations, including the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR) and the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), which govern Federal and DoD travel
- Gain an understanding of the terms and phrases utilized in the travel process
- Learn how to plan and account for airfare, train, hotels, rental car, meals, and incidental expenses
- Understand the appropriate use of the government travel card
- Review the rules involving time cards and travel
- Understand travel, transportation, and relocation allowances
- Learn travel expense management (funds control - commitment, obligation, disbursement, adjustment of funds)
- Understand Relocation Income Tax Allowances (RITA)
- Recognize the appropriate utilization of the Actual Expense Allowance
- Gain practical travel management experience through hands-on exercises and in-depth discussions