||Federal Human Resources: Foundations Course
Select a Date and Location
|This course is only available for group, on-site training at your location. Please fill out the On-site Request Form located on this page or call 301-749-5600 for more information.
Who Should Attend
HR impacts everyone in an organization. This course is designed for staff (including assistants, analysts, and specialists) who 1) handle human resources issues, 2) want a comprehensive foundation in Federal human resources management, 3) want to strengthen their understanding of the general and technical competencies required of successful HR practitioners, and/or 4) have an interest in transitioning into the HR series. This course was formerly called Federal Human Resources: An Introduction.
What You Will Learn
- A high-level overview of the federal government as an employer, including employment trends.
- The foundational laws, rules, and regulations governing Federal human resources management, including recent legal and policy developments.
- A comprehensive overview of the Merit Systems Principles (MSPs) and Prohibited Personnel Practices (PPPs), including exploration of a modern take on the MSPs.
- The evolution of personnel and human resources as an occupation in the Federal Government, including HR’s role as a strategic business partner and OPM’s HR Professional Framework.
- An introduction to all of the major HR specialty areas (e.g. Benefits, Classification, Compensation, Labor Relations, Performance Management, Staffing), including career path overviews, general and technical competencies, typical duties, and recommended developmental activities.
- A survey of the HR strategies used by agencies ranked as among the best places to work in the Federal Government, including a brief overview of the Federal Viewpoint Survey.
- How to locate tools and resources for enhancing your technical proficiency, with particular emphasis on those available from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
Why You Should Attend
Staff who attend this course will receive an exceptional foundation in Federal human resources and what it takes to be a successful HR professional. Our instructor, a former member of the Senior Executive Service (SES) in Human Resources, will candidly share her experiences to enrich the learning experience.